Have you been receiving unwanted robocalls or telemarketing calls to your home phone? If so, you may be a victim of Do Not Call List violations. The Do Not Call List is a federal law that prohibits telemarketers from calling your home phone if you have registered your number on the list.
The AVID Case
One company that has been accused of violating the Do Not Call List is Avid Telecom. Avid Telecom is a telemarketing company that is alleged to have made over 7.5 billion illegal robocalls to consumers in the United States.
The calls were made to consumers in all 50 states. The calls were made using a variety of phone numbers, including numbers that were spoofed to look like local numbers. The calls were made using a variety of scripts, including scripts that were designed to trick consumers into answering the calls. The calls were made to consumers who had registered their numbers on the Do Not Call List.
Dozens of state attorneys general have banded together to file a complaint against Avid Telecom and sue a telecommunications company.
How Avid Telecom Violated the Do Not Call List
Avid Telecom violated the Do Not Call List in a number of ways:
- First, they made calls to consumers who had registered their numbers on the list.
- Second, they used a variety of deceptive practices to trick consumers into answering their calls, such as using spoofed caller ID information and making calls that appeared to be from government agencies or financial institutions.
- Third, they made the calls in large numbers, which is a violation of the Do Not Call List’s restrictions on the number of calls that can be made to a single consumer in a given period of time.
“Avid Telecom used a variety of deceptive practices to trick consumers into answering their calls,” said the complaint filed by the New York Attorney General’s Office. “These practices included using spoofed caller ID information and making calls that appeared to be from government agencies or financial institutions.”
Examples of the Calls Made by Avid Telecom:
- Calls claiming to be from the government or a government agency.
- Calls claiming to be from a credit card company or other financial institution.
- Calls claiming to be from a survey company.
- Calls claiming to be from a charity.
“The calls made by Avid Telecom were a serious violation of the Do Not Call List,” said the complaint. “These calls caused significant harm to consumers, who were inconvenienced and disturbed by the repeated calls.”
Avid Telecom is not the only telemarketing company that has been accused of deceptive practices. In fact, the FTC has filed numerous lawsuits against telemarketers in recent years.
The FTC has also taken steps to crack down on deceptive telemarketing practices through rulemaking. In 2013, the FTC amended the TSR to make it more difficult for telemarketers to make false or misleading representations about the price of their products or services.
The FTC’s efforts to crack down on deceptive telemarketing practices have had some success. In 2020, the FTC shut down more than 1,000 telemarketing operations and recovered over $200 million for consumers who had been harmed by deceptive telemarketing practices.
However, the problem of deceptive telemarketing remains a serious one. Consumers should be wary of telemarketing calls and should not hesitate to file a complaint with the FTC if they believe that they have been the victim of deceptive telemarketing practices.
What You Can Do If You Are a Victim of Avid Telecom’s Do Not Call List Violations
If you believe that you are a victim of Avid Telecom’s Do Not Call List violations, you should contact an experienced attorney to discuss your legal options. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your damages.
What You Can Do to Protect Yourself from Do Not Call List Violations
There are a number of things that you can do to protect yourself from Do Not Call List violations:
- First, you should register your number on the Do Not Call List.
- Second, you should be aware of the deceptive practices that telemarketers use to trick consumers into answering their calls.
- Third, you should be careful about the information that you provide to telemarketers.
Do Not Call List violations are a serious problem, but there are steps that you can take to protect yourself. By registering your number on the Do Not Call List and being aware of the deceptive practices that telemarketers use, you can help to stop these illegal practices.
To learn more about Do Not Call List violations and how to protect yourself, please contact us today. We offer free consultations, and we would be happy to help you get the compensation you deserve.